Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Week 8 – Picture Perfect?

With the target date for the launch of the davemail Web site just a week away, most of the pieces are falling into place nicely, with one notable exception. We have yet to decide on a suitable image to depict exactly who “dave” is. Dave needs a face. Too bad it has to be mine.

Because dave is a real person and not a marketing ploy, the question is not whether or not to show me but rather HOW to show me. We are trying to avoid the typical corporate, button-down look of a standard head shot, while still looking confident, capable and trustworthy. Anything too cool would not feel authentic to anyone who knows me, so where does that leave us?

If I may be so bold, I would love your ideas on a setting, location or prop to help make the photo project an image of creativity and cleverness (related to email) without being silly. Something that says, “I would enjoy working with that guy. I trust him. I like him. I want to be his facebook friend.”

Why so much attention to a Web site photo? The answer is simple. If this were for a normal bio page photo, it honestly wouldn’t matter as much, but the fact that I am using my name is directly related to my business concept. Instead of an online sign-up form and access to do-it-yourself software, I am selling a personalized, low-tech approach that emphasizes human interaction and building professional relationships.

Those relationships require connection to a real person – a real dave. Luckily, I happen to know one. So if you have any photo ideas, I would love to hear them. Just email me HERE with your suggestions.

Regarding launch progress, the business cards are in limited circulation (I only have 992 left), the brochure is at the printer and the Web site continues its secret coding and content-management building process. Soon, my blog reminders will be replaced with a more comprehensive weekly email newsletter (imagine that) that also will provide industry news and useful tips for working with davemail.

Everything is still looking up. Thanks for following.

ECONOMIC SNAPSHOT (4/17)
Dow: 8125 (another week in the right direction)
Unemployment Rate: 8.5% (March)
Big News: Capt. Richard Phillips was saved when Navy snipers killed three Somali pirates with three simultaneous nighttime gunshots. The captain had earlier traded himself for the safety of his crew.

2 comments:

  1. remember -- it doesn't have to be your face that depicts you. you've got many other parts that can be used in a cool way. looking forward to seeing the outcome. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michael. That's a good point. I appreciate the feedback -- especially from the guy who made the half-face and seasonal coffee cup iconic. May I be so successful.

    ReplyDelete